Environments - Social Studies or Science (Ecology)
RELATED VIDEO: The Life and Times of Charlie Chestnut video
DAY ONE -
- Recommended background Video:
- Charlie Chestnut (running time 18 minutes).
- Discuss the video.
DAY TWO -
- ACTIVITY: TUNE INTO YOUR NATURAL ENVIRONMENT - map or sketch a general description of your local environment, including landscape, animals, parks, plants, water, roads, etc.
DAY FOUR -
- Discuss parallel stories relating to diseases and quarantines. (NY immigrants in early 1900s; introduced species such as Zoo animals; historic plagues such as Smallpox and the Native American, The Black Plague, The Great Flu Epidemic, etc.) http://www.Britannica.com
DAY FIVE -
- GUEST VISITOR SUGGESTION - if possible, invite a Research Biologist, a local environmental group member or a local Natural History Curator/Educator to visit the class or schedule a class trip to their lab/museum.